The Standard health plans available for the 2024 plan year are follows:
LSU First Health Plan (Option 1)
WebTPA (Claims administrator), AETNA and Verity Healthnet (provider networks)
Pelican HRA 1000
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Community Blue and Blue Connect
Magnolia Local Plus
Blue Cross Blue Shield of LA
Magnolia Open Access
Blue Cross Blue Shield of LA
The Medicare Advantage health plans available for the 2024 plan year are follows:
Medicare Advantage Plans
LSU First Medicare Retiree Plan (United Healthcare)
*Note: Via Benefits is a private Medicare exchange plan with HRA credits of $200 to $300 per month. Plan members can visit: https://medicare.oneexchange.com/ogb or call 1-855-663.4228 to speak with a licensed Medicare representative to learn about different plan options. Retirees must be careful to elect only OGB affiliated plans.
2024 plan information
Click here to view the Workday Open Enrollment Job Aid
Click here to view Health Insurance Comparison Chart
Click here to view Health Insurance Premiums (actives)
Click here to view Health Insurance Premiums (retirees)
Click here to view the 2024 BC/BS Annual Enrollment Guide
Coming soon! 2024 Benefits Booklet
Office of Group Benefit Health Plans
Office of Group Benefits Customer Service: 1.800.392.4089
Office of Group Benefit Health Plans: Magnolia Local, Magnolia Local Plus, Magnolia Open Access, Pelican HSA 775, Pelican HRA 1000, and the Retiree Medicare Advantage plans.
Claims Administrator: Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Louisiana
Search for in-network providers: https://www.bcbsla.com/ogb
Health Insurance Premiums
1) The Office of Group Benefits has announced a 6.15% premium increase on all Blue Cross / Blue Shield health plans. Retirees should review the retiree premium sheet as rates will increase January 1, 2024. LSU First has announced a 6% premium increase on the plan for active employees and a 5.7% increase for the LSU First Medicare Retiree Plan:
2) It is recommended to visit https://www.annualenrollment.groupbenefits.org/ for additional details.
Learn about Office of Group Benefit Health Plans
1) Enrollment Guide: Please click here to review the enrollment guide. This is a great resource!
2) Office of Group Benefits Website: http://annualenrollment.groupbenefits.org/
3) Zoom meetings schedule: https://annualenrollment.groupbenefits.org/meetings.html.
4) Call the Office of Group Benefits Customer Service at 1.800.272.8451.
5) View In-network providers: Go to: http://annualenrollment.groupbenefits.org/, then select "Find a Provider."
Pelican HSA 775 administered by Blue Cross / Blue Shield of LA – 1.800.392.4089
The Pelican HSA 775 will have a 6.15% premium increase for 2024. ExpressScripts will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager. If you are enrolled in the Pelican HSA 775 and would like to contribute to the HSA, please submit a Form GB-79 to HR no later than November 15th. The Pelican HSA plan offers a low premium in combination with a Health Savings Account, which the member and employer contribute to – to create an affordable option for members. Coverage provided within the Blue Cross nationwide network,, as well as out-of-network. Additional plan information can be found on the OGB website: https://info.groupbenefits.org/pelican-hsa-775/
*Please note employees who participate in the HSA health plan, will not be able to participate in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) program for the 2024 plan year. Employees and/or spouses who are covered by Medicare coverage are not eligible to participate in this health plan.
Pelican HRA 1000 administered by Blue Cross / Blue Shield of LA – 1.800.392.4089
Includes employer contributions in a health reimbursement arrangement that can be used to offset deductible and other out-of-pocket medical expenses throughout the year. Any unused funds roll over to the in-network out-of-pocket maximum, allowing members to build up balances that cover eligible medical expenses. CVS Caremark will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager. The cost of prescription drugs cannot be deducted from the HRA. There is a 4-tiered schedule for prescription drugs. The Pelican HRA 1000 will have a 6.15% premium increase for 2024. No plan design changes. Additional information can be found on the OGB website: https://info.groupbenefits.org/pelican-hra-1000/
Magnolia Local administered by BC/BS and Blue Connect / Blue Community Networks (available only for employees who live in designated regions) – 1.800.392.4089
Available to members who want local access, affordable premiums and a new approach to health care. This plan is a limited provider in-network only plan for members who live in specific coverage areas. Out-of-network coverage is provided in emergencies only and members may be subject to balance billing. CVS Caremark will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager. The Magnolia Local Plan will have a 6.15% premium increase for 2024. No plan design changes. Additional information can be found on the OGB website at: https://info.groupbenefits.org/magnolia-local/.
Magnolia Local Plus administered by Blue Cross / Blue Shield of LA - 1.800.392.4089
Offers the same coverage as the Magnolia Local plan, with the additional benefit of a nationwide network. This plan provides the predictability of co-pays rather than using employer funding to offset out-of-pocket costs. Out-of-network coverage is provided in emergencies only and members may be subject to balance billing. CVS Caremark will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager. The Magnolia Local Plus Plan will have a 6.15% premium increase for 2024. No plan design changes. Additional information can be found on the OGB website at: https://info.groupbenefits.org/magnolia-local-plus/
Magnolia Open Access administered by Blue Cross / Blue Shield of LA – 1.800.392.4089
Offers coverage both inside and outside of the nationwide network. It differs from the other Magnolia plans in that members enrolled will not pay co-pays. Instead, once a member’s deductible is met, they will pay 10% of allowable charges for in-network and 30% allowable charges for out-of-network. CVS Caremark will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager. The Magnolia Open Access Plan will have a 6.15% premium increase for 2024. No plan design changes. Additional information can be found on the OGB website at: https://info.groupbenefits.org/magnolia-open-access/.
LSU First Information
Customer Service: 1.855.346.5781
Website: http://www.lsu.edu/lsufirst/ (health plan) and www.medimpact.com (Pharmacy Benefit Manager)
Member Portal: http://www.webtpa.com/ (health plan) and https://www.medimpact.com/ (pharmacy)
Pharmacy Benefit Manager: MedImpact
Search for In-Network Providers: http://www.lsu.edu/lsufirst/providers.php
Learn more about the LSU First Health Plans:
1) Visit the LSU First website at http://www.lsu.edu/lsufirst/
2) Click here to view the 2024 LSU First Benefits Snapshot
3) Click here to view the 2024 Health Insurance Comparison Chart
4) Click here to view the MedImpact Formulary Look Up Tool
5) Click here to view the MedImpact Mail Mail order flier (instructions)
6) Click here to view the MedImpact Direct Mail Order form
LSU First Health Plan 2024 Changes
LSU First Health Plan administered by WebTPA 1.855.346.5781
The LSU First health plan will continue to be administered by WebTPA. MedImpact will continue as the Pharmacy Benefit Manager for the 2024 plan year. LSU First will have a 6% premium increase.
LSU First in 2024:
- Expanded Bariatric Program – now in Shreveport. Please see reps at the Benefits Fair for additional details.
- The HRA Rollover balance will be handled as follows in 2024:
Effective January 1, 2024, the rollover money will be based on the reduced 2023 HRA amount, up to $500 for EE only, up to $750 for EE/CH or EE/SP, up to $1,000 for family.
- New Mobile App coming soon
As a reminder changes that occurred in 2023:
- The Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) and deductible will now only apply to covered medical services only.
- The HRA and deductible will no longer apply to prescription drug coverage. Generics will be covered at 100% but will no longer be deducted from the HRA account.
- Plan members will begin paying 20% for brand named medications beginning January 1, 2023.
- High-cost generic drugs will no longer be covered. Impacted plan members will be notified directly from MedImpact.
- Since the cost of prescription drugs will no longer be deducted from the HRA, the HRA amounts will be reduced by 50%.
- Employee only level of coverage HRA will be reduced from $100o to $500
- Employee / children and employee / spouse HRA will be reduced from $1500 to $750
- Family HRA will be reduced from $2,000 to $1,000
- Out-of-Pocket (OOP) max increase: Please carefully review the attached Health Insurance plan comparison. There is now a separate OOP max for health and a separate OOP max for prescription drugs.
To offset the premium increase, employees still have an opportunity to take advantage of the premium wellness credit of $25 a month. A wellness check should be completed during the period of November 1, 2022 – October 31, 2023. No forms to complete as claims data will be reviewed by WebTPA.
- Employee $25/month and Spouse $10/month – For employee/spouse or family coverage, both the employee and spouse must complete a checkup or no insurance premium credit will be issued.
- Be enrolled in LSU First for 2023 and 2024 plan years
- Enroll and participate in Care Coordination (through Highcare), if identified
- Preventive PCP Visit and Biometric Screening (height, weight, BMI and blood pressure) and Preventive Lab work (includes a basic metabolic panel)
For more information about the wellness credit, you can visit https://www.lsu.edu/lsufirst/lsufirst_wellness.php. For more information about the LSU First health plan, you can visit lsu.edu/lsufirst, attend an LSU First webinar, or call 855-346-5781.
New Hires and Mid-Year Changes (30-day window), Workday changes and required documentation
New Hires must complete the enrollment in Workday within the first 30 days of employment. A GB-01 document must also be completed within the 30-day timeframe and must include dependent verification documents: birth certificate for children and a marriage certificate for a spouse. International documents must be translated and notarized.
Mid-year changes are allowed for IRS "qualifying events" within 30 days of the event. Qualifying events are: change in family status (birth, marriage, divorce, legal separation, change in employment status of employee or spouse), changes required by judgment, FMLA qualified leaves of absence, significant cost or coverage changes. Proof of the qualifying event is required in order to make a mid-year change. Employees who have a mid-year change must complete the change in Workday within the 30 day window. GB-01 document must also be completed within the 30-day timeframe and must include dependent verification documents: birth certificate for children and a marriage certificate for a spouse. International documents must be translated and notarized. Please contact an HR representative with any questions.
- Click here for a list of qualifying events
- Click here for a GB01 document
- Click here for a Workday "change benefits" job aid (this is for qualifying events)
Continuing Insurance into Retirement - Retiree participation Schedule (Vesting)
Retirees may continue medical coverage upon retirement if eligibility requirements for age and years of service under TRSL or LASERS is met. Members of TRSL’s Optional Retirement Plan must meet the eligibility requirements, as defined by the TRSL, to continue coverage. Please contract HRM with any questions concerning retirement eligibility. Employees enrolled in health insurance are required to complete the Health Insurance Continuation/Cancellation Forms. Health insurance (along with AD&D and OGB Life Insurance) premiums will be deducted from the monthly retirement check for TRSL and LASERS retirees. ORP retirees must complete the Authorization for Insurance Deductions Form to have the LSU Payroll draft monthly premiums from your bank account in retirement.
If participation in a health plan through the State of Louisiana began on or after January 1, 2002, the state subsidy of the premium after retirement will be based on the number of years participated in a Group Benefits program. Employees with continuous coverage from prior to 2002 through their retirement are grandfathered into the 75% premium category below.
If a spouse and/or dependent began participating in a health plan through the State of Louisiana on or after July 1, 2002, the state subsidy of their premium after retirement (upon retiree's death) will be based on the number of years they have participated in a Group Benefits program. Please direct any questions regarding your retiree insurance premiums to Payroll/Insurance section at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following schedule is used in determining the state's subsidy of a retiree's premium.
|Years of Participation
||Percentage of Premium
|Less than 10 years
||19% of premium paid by State
|10 years or more, but less than 15 years
||38% of premium paid by State
||2023 - 38%
|15 years or more, but less than 20 years
||56% of premium paid by State
||2023 - 56%
|20 years or more
||75% of premium paid by State
||2023 - 75%
Notice regarding Medicare: Retirees and their dependents who continue their LSU-sponsored medical coverage and who are eligible to enroll in Medicare are required to enroll and remain enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B. Failure to do so could result in loss of LSU-sponsored coverage.
Premiums Only Plan
The premiums for medical, dental, vision and OGB life insurance will automatically be deducted before taxes from your paycheck. There is no cost or tax liability. Due to the tax advantages under this program, you can only change or cancel these insurance plans during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualifying event (with proof of the event within a 30 day window).
Waiver of coverage requirement / Affordable Care Act
Employees who do not elect health insurance are required to complete a waiver of coverage in Workday. The Affordable Care Act has mandated a “penalty” or a fee for individuals that don’t have health insurance coverage. If you don’t have coverage, you will pay a fee according to ACA rules. LSUS is required to issue Form 1095-C documents. These documents will be issued to each employee when W-2’s are issued. This will be your “proof of health insurance coverage.”