Spring Street Museum

Welcome to the heart of Northwest Louisiana and the tristate region. Shreveport is where it all began…where oil and water did blend, where cotton began its long dusty journey up the Texas Trail, where fortunes were made (and lost), where mayors fought duels in the middle of the street. We tell the story of our remarkable and sometimes rowdy history through photos and discovered treasures. From the Great Raft log jam cleared by Capt. Henry Miller Shreve to the legal Red Light District of the early 1900s, we bring the history of Shreveport to life!


Where is the museum located?

The museum is located in Downtown Shreveport at 525 Spring Street. It is immediately passed the intersection of Spring and Milam.

When is the museum open?

Tuesday thru Saturday: 10AM-4:00PM. Closed Sundays, Mondays, & major holidays.

Where do I park when visiting the museum?

Visitors to the museum can park in metered spaces in front of the facility on Spring, Milam or Commerce Streets, in free surface lot spaces along the Shreveport Riverfront/Clyde Fant Parkway or in free garage spaces at the Shreveport Aquarium, Sam’s Town or Eldorado Resort Casino.

On-street meter parking is free after 5 pm, on weekends and official city holidays. All other times, it is $.25 per 30 minutes, up to two hours. Meters accept cash or payment through the ParkMobile app. You can learn more about parking downtown at DowntownShreveport.com.

Is there an admission fee?

There is no admission fee, but we do accept donations.

Do you have changing exhibits?

Yes! Check out our latest exhibit here. Call 318-562-3128 or stop by for more information.

Who We Are

The Spring Street Museum in Shreveport opened in 1977. The museum’s large collection of artifacts includes: vintage clothing dating back to 1835, antique toys, firearms and swords, plantation records, photographs, antique maps, Persian rugs, and original 18th and 19th century furniture, accessories and paintings. Among the items in the collection is silver from Pauline deGraffenried Pickett’s plantation home and the 1854 wedding slipper of Isabel Butler, a great- granddaughter of Martha Custis Washington. Revolving exhibits on the first floor highlight many of the objects found in the museum’s collection. The second-floor Victorian parlor is a step back in time to the late 1870s and 1880s.

One of Shreveport’s Oldest Buildings

The building that houses the Spring Street Historical Museum has its own stories to tell! Arguably the oldest building in Shreveport, it was constructed around 1866 and housed Tally’s and Asher’s Banks and in 1877, became the Banking House of E. & B. Jacobs. In 1886, Edward Jacobs received the very first banking act charter in the city and changed the name to First National Bank, which it remained until 1903. After the era of banking in the building was complete, it became home of a number of businesses, including a bar called Fort Knox. That makes sense, as the original bank vault still remains today.

For more information on the Spring Street Museum building’s architecture, dating & history, read the book by local historian Eric Brock.

Education at the Museum

As a steward of local history, the Spring Street Museum staff and affiliated LSUS faculty recognize the responsibility we have to educate current and future generations. As such, we welcome school groups of all ages and sizes.

To book a field trip or work with us to develop a special curriculum or assignment, email Claudia.Finely@lsus.edu or call 318-562-3128. 

In addition to hosting K-12 groups, the LSUS Department of History regularly conducts research and historic digs in the local community to unearth more history and artifacts for display and use by the museum. 

Get in Touch

Dr. Cheryl White
Executive Director of the Spring Street Museum

Claudia Finley
Museum Operations Manager

Marty Loschen
Field Technician 

Follow us on social media!

https://www.facebook.com/springstreetmuseum    https://www.instagram.com/springstreetmuseumshreveport/