Your academic performance can affect your eligibility to retain financial aid or scholarships. Most scholarships require you to complete a certain number of credit hours per semester and stipulate a minimum GPA. Your Federal Financial Aid is also dependent on your being in school at least half-time and completing at least 70% of your classes. Developing good time- management skills, making full use of campus resources, and maintaining ongoing contact with your academic advisor will help you meet these requirements.


How do I apply for financial aid? To apply for federal and state financial aid including but not limited to grants, work-study, and student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Be sure to include LSUS school code (002013) on the application.

How do I check my application status? Log into your myLSUS account under Financial Aid Applications and confirm receipt of the current academic years application.  If a red flag please, locate the appropriate LSUS Financial Aid document. If you are selected for verification, please keep in mind that this process can take up to 2 weeks to complete.  

When should I apply for financial aid? You should complete a new FAFSA before the start of each academic year (August - July). You should always complete the application as soon as possible! The FAFSA is now available to complete after October 1 every year.

How do I apply for scholarships at LSUS? Eligibility for LSUS institutional scholarships will automatically be evaluated upon admission to the university. Donor funded and departmental scholarships can be viewed and applied for via Academic Works. For additional details and deadline dates, please view our Scholarships page

My parents don't claim me on their tax return and don't pay my tuition. Can I file my FAFSA as an independent student? Whether or not your parents claim you on their tax return does not determine if you are considered an independent student. There are specific criteria that determines a student's dependency status. Except under very limited circumstances, you must provide parental information if requested to do so by the FAFSA.  

My FAFSA is selected for verification. What does this mean? Because the FAFSA is a self-reported application, some students are required to submit additional paperwork to the Financial Aid Office to verify the data reported on the FAFSA. Our office will ask you to provide the necessary documentation for our office to verify your information. Please allow our office approximately 10 business days to review your paperwork. Verification must be complete before our office can determine how much aid you are eligible to receive. This is one reason it is important to complete your FAFSA as early as possible. 

It is the fee payment deadline, but my financial aid has not been awarded yet. Will my classes get dropped? If you have not been awarded financial aid and you have not set up payment arrangements, your classes may be at risk of being dropped. If you have completed all the necessary financial aid requirements, contact our office to determine if you are eligible for a financial aid fee deferment. If your financial aid file is incomplete, you will need to set up payment arrangements.         

Do I have to be full time to receive financial aid? This depends on the type of aid received. Federal Work-Study and many scholarships require you to be a full-time student; however, grants are prorated based on enrollment and student loans only require half time status.

How do I view my financial aid requirements and/or awards? You can view your financial aid requirements and awards on your my LSUS account.

Do I need to "Accept" my financial aid? Do I need to "Accept" my financial aid? YES! You need to accept your financial aid before the start of EACH SEMESTER. You can do this approximately 2 weeks before the fee payment deadline each semester. Login to myLSUS. Go to Financial Aid > Financial Aid Acceptance > Accepted change No to Yes for the semester > Save Changes.    

I see on my myLSUS account that I was awarded an Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan. What is the difference between the subsidized and unsubsidized? The main difference between the two loans is that the subsidized loan does not accrue interest while the student is enrolled at least half-time.   The unsubsidized loan accrues interest immediately after disbursement.  You can read more information at

How do I adjust my student loan amounts for each semester? You can adjust the amounts on your paper award letter and return it to our office or you can email our office at from your student email account. Be sure to include your name and student ID number, and be specific with the amounts you are requesting for each term.    

Can I purchase books using my financial aid? Yes. If you have financial aid in excess of your tuition and fees, you can purchase your books online or in person at the LSUS Bookstore using your financial aid credit balance approximately 2 weeks before the start of classes for each term. Simply select to use your financial aid as a payment method.                

When will I receive my financial aid credit balance refund? If you are due a credit balance refund, they will be issued 5-10 business days after the last day to drop/census date for each term. The dates for each 2019-2020 academic terms are as follows:  


Last Day to Drop/Census Date

Fall Session 1 September 13, 2019
Fall AP1/1C September 10, 2019
Fall AP2/1D November 5, 2019
Spring Session 1 January 31, 2020
Spring AP1/1C January 21, 2020
Spring AP2/1D March 19, 2020
Summer 1 June 10, 2020
Summer AP1/1C May 19, 2020
Summer AP2/1D July 14, 2020

How much will my financial aid credit balance refund be?
 Subtract your tuition fees and book charge amounts from the total aid amount awarded for the semester.  The difference will be the amount of your refund. You can set up direct deposit via your myLSUS account. Any questions regarding setting up direct deposit should be directed to the Accounting Services office (318) 797-5275 or   

It is past the census date, why has my student loan not credited? Our office may be missing your Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Please login to to complete these electronic documents. LSUS should receive them within 72 hours of completion.  

I do not receive any financial aid but I want to set up a payment plan. How do I do that? A. You can set up the NELNET payment plan via your myLSUS account. Questions or concerns regarding payment plans should be directed to the Accounting Services office.  

I failed a class. Will I lose my grants and loans? Not necessarily.  Please see our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, which explains the academic requirements for keeping federal aid.        

Will dropping classes affect my financial aid? Maybe. This depends on how many classes you drop, the type of aid you are receiving and how it is affecting your academic progress. We encourage students to contact our office when they are considering dropping a course to find out how it will specifically affect them. It is also very important to be familiar with our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.  

Where can I access my 1098-T form? 1098-T forms are available on your myLSUS account under the "My Financials" section. Any questions regarding these forms should be directed to the Accounting Services office.

How much should I borrow over the course of my education? No more than you would make in your first year of employment. You have to pay your loans back over 10 years, and repayments that exceed more than 10% of your income are difficult to manage. If you're uncertain how much you might make after graduation, attend a Career Fair and find out what employers are paying.

What happens to my Financial Aid if I have to drop out of school? If you receive Federal Financial Loans or Grants (including TOPS) and you drop out of school before completing 60% of the semester, you have to repay 50% of monies received. The only circumstances under which this rule does not apply are (a) if you're dead or (b) if you're on active military service.  For more information, review the Financial Aid office webpage, or contact them at (318) 797-5363.

Office of Financial Aid

AD 159
One University Place
Shreveport, La 71115
318-797-5366 (fax)

The Title IV School Code is 002013