LSU Shreveport is committed to making students with disabilities full participants in its programs, services, and activities through its compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the supplemental ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA). Disability Services works with both students with disabilities and the University in accomplishing this goal.
The following is an outline of participants' responsibilities as it relates to students with disabilities.
Disability Services staff review all documentation and students' requests to determine accommodations that ensure equal access in the classroom and in campus life. Types of accommodations include but are not limited to:
1. Submit the Online Application. Expect an email confirming that we received your request.
2. Provide documentation of your disability. You can upload it as part of your application, or submit it by mail, fax, or in person. Your health care provider may also submit the documentation directly to our office. You can find the medical documentation form here.
3. Arrange an appointment to meet with our Disability Services Coordinator. If you are not able to meet with us in-person, we can communicate with you by phone.
4. Disability Services reviews your request. After you've completed steps 1-3, we present your request to the Academic Accommodations Evaluation Committee (AAEC). The AAEC meets once per week or as needed. Although applications for Disability Services are accepted at any point during the academic calendar, time is needed to verify the disability and/or to arrange accommodations, which are determined on an individualized, case-by-case basis.
5. Student selects accommodations. Once Disability Services has approved specific accommodations, you must return to the Disability Support Portal to select among the approved accommodations. You'll also need to request Letters of Eligibility to be sent to yourself and your instructors.
6. An Eligibility Letter indicates approved accommodations. Once eligibility has been determined, Disability Services provides letters to you and your professors confirming that you are registered with us. Check your student email or disability support portal account to view a copy of your Eligibility Letter which outlines the approved accommodations. We highly encourage you to speak with each professor about the approved accommodations for seamless implementation.
Students who have been determined eligible to receive accommodations through the Office of Disability Services may request their accommodation letters by completing the following process:
1. Log into the Disability Support Portal.
2. Select the courses in which you need accommodations.
3. Select the specific accommodations you need for each course.
4. Check your student email for your Letter of Accommodation. Confirm and discuss your accommodations with your professor.
PLEASE NOTE: You do not have to reapply for approved accommodations each semester you are enrolled. If you need a new accommodation you must submit the appropriate documentation and schedule an Intake Interview.