LSUS is committed to student success, both in and out of the classroom. Academic coaching is one way LSUS helps students succeed. An academic coach works one-on-one with students to review schedules and commitments, set priorities, establish effective strategies for college learning and maintain focus. Meeting with an academic coach is helpful not only for students who may be struggling, but also students who wish to go from a "B" to an "A". Academic coaching at LSUS helps all students achieve their higher education goals through the development of research based learning skills and increased competency through a metacognitive approach.
Who Needs Coaching?
If you are not sure as to who would benefit from academic coaching and whether or not you may be a potential candidate for these services, take a look at the following scenarios to see if any of these are applicable to you.
- You study for long hours, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference on exams.
- You have made a couple of B's and would like to be making all A's.
- You memorize information and rarely are able to apply it in a meaningful way.
- You battle forgetting material before the test.
- School is something new for you, and you are trying to acclimate to the college world.
- You don't see the point of going to class.
- Studying is something you only do the night before an exam.
If you find that any of these scenarios or a scenario similar to the above apply to you, you are a great candidate for academic coaching. Academic coaches can provide students with encouragement, access to campus resources and skills training in a wide variety of areas. LSUS Academic Coaches are trained individuals with expertise in the areas of:
- Time management
- Memory and concentration
- Listening and note-taking
- College reading
- Exam preparation
- Overcoming academic anxiety
Contact the Student Success Center today to set up an appointment with an academic coach, 318-795-2486. You can also email the Student Success Center at email@example.com to set up an appointment.