FreshmenFreshman Survival Guide
Welcome! Beginning college is so exciting! It is also a huge adjustment, full of new experiences and choices. These resources are offered to continue your orientation to LSUS and help in your adjustment the campus.
Checklist for academic success:
- Make school a priority. Learn to balance school, social life, and campus activities.
- Attend all your classes.
- Actively participate in Freshman Seminar.
- Meet withan Academic Coach early during the semester.
- Schedule an appointment with a Freshman Mentor.
- Participate in campus activities.
- Develop a weekly study plan...and stick to it!
- Use your General Education courses to explore areas of interest or programs, especially if your are uncertain of your major.
- Introduce yourself to your academic advisor during the first half of the semester (Don't know who that is? Go to your academic department chair to find out!).
- The University Writing Center offers assistance in organizing and formating college papers. Find them in Bronson Hall, Room 114.
Career considerations (yes, even for freshmen!)
- Visit Student Development for career information (Administration Building, Room 230; 318-797-5365).
- Attend workshops to learn about job search skills.
- Explore career areas using LSU Shreveport career services resources and What Can I Do With This Degree? series on the Career Services website.
- Register on LSUS Career Pilot where you can look for jobs, internships, career events, and network with employers
- Attend career fairs to network with employers and learn about career options for your areas of interest.
- Let Career Services help you transition your resume from high school to college or write a basic resume.
- Explore your interests, skills, values, and concerns related to various career fields with the help of Career Services.
- Participate in Week of Welcome!
- Visit the Student Activities Office and get involved in Student Life at LSU Shreveport.
- Join a student organization or an intermural team. Create one of your own!
- Check your LSUS email account for weekly announcements of fun activities and recreational oppotunities.