Welcome! Beginning college is so exciting! It is also a huge adjustment, full of new experiences and choices. These resources are offered to continue your orientation to LSUS and help in your adjustment the campus.
Checklist for academic success:
- Make school a priority. Learn to balance school, social life, and campus activities.
- Attend all your classes.
- Actively participate in Freshman Seminar.
- Meet withan Academic Coach early during the semester.
- Schedule an appointment with a Freshman Mentor.
- Participate in campus activities.
- Develop a weekly study plan...and stick to it!
- Use your General Education courses to explore areas of interest or programs, especially if your are uncertain of your major.
- Introduce yourself to your academic advisor during the first half of the semester (Don't know who that is? Go to your academic department chair to find out!).
- The University Writing Center offers assistance in organizing and formating college papers. Find them in Bronson Hall, Room 114.
Career considerations (yes, even for freshmen!)
- Visist Student Development for career information (Administration Building, Room 230; 318-797-5062).
- Begin a career portfolio.
- Explore career areas using LSU Shreveport career services resources.
- Register on LSUS Career Pilot and explore site.
- Attend career fairs and learn about career options for your areas of interest.
- Write a basic resume; learn to search for jobs and identify transferable skills.
- Take the MBTI or Strong Interest Career Portfolio through LSUS Career Pilot.
- Participate in Week of Welcome!
- Visit the Student Activities Office and get involved in Student Life at LSU Shreveport.
- Join a student organization or an intermural team. Create one of your own!
- Check your LSUS email account for weekly announcements of fun activities and recreational oppotunities.