Print / Share  

Records and Registration

Veterans Affairs

First-time Applicants
Prior to using your GI Bill benefits for the first time, you must submit an application for benefits to the Regional Processing Office (RPO).  The RPO for Louisiana is located in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  You apply for your benefits online at the GI Bill website,

Veterans, National Guard, and Reserve members must complete VA Form 22-1990. Those students who had benefits transferred from their sponsor need to complete a VA Form 22-1990E after their sponsor has transferred entitlement to them.  Other qualifying dependents must complete VA Form 22-5490.

After the RPO processes your application (processing time is approximately 8 to 12 weeks) they will send you a letter stating your eligibility status, qualifying chapter, and number of months of benefits. When you receive the letter, please bring it to the Admissions and Records Office so a copy can be placed in your VA folder.  There are additional local forms that must be completed (a.k.a. Blue and Yellow form) for LSU Shreveport. These forms are available in the Admissions & Records Office or online. 

LSU Shreveport does not participate in the advance payment program. Chapters 31 and 33 are the only chapters of the GI Bill that pay the university for tuition and fees. All of the other chapters pay the student monthly and in arrears.  As a result, the student is responsible for paying all tuition and fees upfront. 

Transfer Applicants

For students who have already applied for their benefits or have used their benefits at a different institution, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (for Chapters 30, 31, 33, 1606, and 1607) or VA Form 22-5495  (for Chapter 35), as well as the local forms located in the Admissions & Records Office or online.

Tuition Assistance
Students planning to use military tuition assistance (TA) should send their approved TA form to Please list your student ID in the e-mail subject line. Additionally, if you plan to use GI Bill Top Up in conjunction with TA, you will need to submit the required forms for using the GI Bill listed on this page.

National Guard and Additional State Benefits for Louisiana Residents
National Guard: The state of Louisiana has additional benefits for LA National Guard (LANG) troops.  For additional information, please contact your unit Education Officer. 

Every semester, the LANG sends LSU Shreveport a list of all LANG members eligible for the state tuition exemption.  In order to receive your exemption at LSU Shreveport, complete the Certification of Veteran Education Benefits (blue form) and mark, as appropriate, LANG tuition exemption only or LANG tuition exemption and GI Bill. 

Dependants of a Disabled Veteran:  The state also offers benefits to certain dependents of veterans who were state residents prior to entering the military and are disabled or died in the line of duty or by service connected causes. Contact the local State Veterans Affairs Office for the parish in which you reside.

Important Notes

  • All students are required to submit a curriculum sheet signed by your academic advisor to the Admissions & Records Office.  The curriculum sheet shows the classes required for you to obtain a degree here at LSU Shreveport and will also show any transferred classes that apply toward your degree.
  • All students are required to fill out the local Certification of Veteran Education Benefits (blue form) every semester.  The blue form is a request for certification and is authorization that you are continuing your education at LSU Shreveport.  Your classes will not be certified to the RPO until the Admissions & Records Office is in receipt of a blue form and a curriculum sheet, if one is not on file.
  • If you add or drop a course or change a course from credit to audit during the semester, please notify the Admissions & Records Office by submitting the Notification of Dropped or Audited Class(es) (pink form).

Contact Information

For a quick overview of what education benefits are available to you or your dependents, click the appropriate link.

For questions concerning the use of VA benefits at LSU Shreveport contact the Veteran Affairs representative in the Admissions & Records Office at 318-798-4130 or email

Apply Visit Request Information