Donate to Celestial Exploration Center
"This facility will give teachers, students, families and life-long learners powerful new ways to experience the wonders and beauty of astronomy, which is a wonderful portal to learning across a broad range of science, math, engineering and technology."
Kathryn D. Sullivan, Ph.D.
The first American woman to walk in space and 2007 LSU Shreveport Space Shots speaker
The LSU Shreveport Celestial Exploration Center provides the perfect opportunity for alumni and friends to support LSUS and benefit education in northwest Louisiana. We have received several generous offers of land donations and are awaiting a significant donor gift to make a final location decision.
An underwriting gift of $1,000,000 will provide the donor with a unique naming opportunity. This high level of support will allow us to immediately prepare the land, build an access road and construct the main components of a fully-equipped facility.
In addition to an underwriting gift, there are other prominent naming opportunities. Gifts of $50,000 and $100,000 would provide funds for telescopes and smaller components of the Center.
Partnerships are already in place with area public school systems and Sci-Port Discovery Center for this project! Please call 318-797-5257 for more information or click HERE to donate.What It Offers - For Everyone!
- A State-of-the-Art, Computer-Operated Telescope, the first in northwest Louisiana. This telescope can be programmed to any position in the sky. Through remote Internet access, students will be able to view the universe from their own classrooms.
- The only Radio Telescope System in northwest Louisiana. The 7-foot-diameter antenna can pierce the atmosphere even on cloudy days.
- Telescopes for use on "opening viewing nights" by visiting astronomers, students and the general public
- A Solar Observatory with daytime programs to study our nearest star, the Sun, and learn how solar activity affects the Earth
- A Celestial Amphitheater, the perfect location for evening lectures, musical presentations and romantic weddings
- Meeting Rooms for gatherings and art or photography exhibits
- A Serene Natural Habitat for nature walks and wildflower garden displays
"Math-Science education has never been more important to Shreveport-Bossier than today. LSU Shreveport is a committed partner in expanding its science-based programs and curriculums. The time is now for you to make a difference through a generous gift to this important project."
Dr. Vincent J. Marsala, Chancellor