LSU Shreveport Debate Teams Claims More Victories
October 19, 2011
The LSU Shreveport Debate Team won the sweepstakes tournament title after another convincing performance at LSU in Alexandria this past weekend. The team advanced 21 of its 26 combined entries; won nearly 72% of its preliminary rounds and swept all three divisions of debate Sunday afternoon.
The team traveled to Alexandria, La. to compete in two tournaments in one weekend. Most team members entered in both halves of the tournament.
Key highlights from the first tournament:
- LSUS won 56 of its 78 preliminary rounds.
- LSUS advanced 11 of 13 entries to the elimination rounds.
- Caleb Brown, a junior education major, earned First Place Speaker in the Novice Division.
- Julian Lawrence, a sophomore English major, went undefeated (6-0) in the Novice Division earning the top seed going into the elimination rounds.
- Chelsea Anthony, a junior speech communication major had a 5-1 record in the Varsity Division earning her the top seed going into the elimination rounds.
Key highlights from the second tournament:
- The team won 56 of its 78 preliminary rounds.
- LSUS advanced 10 of its 13 entries to the elimination rounds.
- The LSUS Novice team swept the all division honors. They earned the top 4 speakers and the top 4 seeds going into the elimination rounds and won the top 4 titles. Ultimately, LSUS does not compete against itself and all 4 competitors share in the championship title.
- Julie Thomas, sophomore education major, First Place in the Division, First Place Speaker, First Seed going into eliminations (6-0).
- Caleb Brown, junior education major, Second Place in the Division, Fourth Place Speaker, Third Seed going into eliminations (5-1).
- Logan McCrary, senior mass communication major, Semifinalist in the Division, Fourth Place Speaker, Second Seed going into eliminations (6-0).
- Julian Lawrence, sophomore English major, Semifinalist in the Division, Second Place Speaker, Fourth Seed going into eliminations (4-2).
- The LSUS Varsity team earned numerous honors as well. Cody King, junior business major, First Place in the Division, First Place Speaker, First Seed going into the elimination rounds.
- In the Professional Division, Director of Debate, Trey Gibson used monies from the Bradley S. Kemp Professorship to enter the tournament. He placed first in the division and earned the First Place Speaker award.
Other LSUS members to receive awards at LSU Alexandria include:
- Michael Candler, senior biology
- Colby Walker, senior in business management
- Justin McDearmont, senior in history
- Rachal Cox, senior in English
- Cody Corley, senior in education
- Deanna Candler, graduate student
The LSUS Debate Team will be travel to Baton Rouge, La. for a tournament at LSU October 29-30. Then the team will host the 37th annual Red River Classic Debate and Forensic Tournament held at LSU Shreveport November 4-6.
For more information about the LSU Shreveport Debate Team, please contact the Director of Debate and Forensics and the Bradley S. Kemp Professor of Debate, Trey Gibson.
Pictured: (L to R): Cody King (Varsity Champion), Julie Thomas (Novice Champion), Trey Gibson (Professional Champion)
Media Contact: Trey Gibson, 318.797.5081 (email@example.com)