LSU Shreveport Circle of Excellence Winners Announced
June 20, 2011Eight LSU Shreveport alumni were honored at the Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association, Thursday, June 5 at the Villaggio Lakehouse Conference Center in Bossier City, La. The meeting was hosted by John (BS 1977) and Cheryl Good. Good was the 2009 Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
The Circle of Excellence Award, instituted in 2007 for the LSU Shreveport 40th Anniversary, honors alumni for leadership and professional achievements.
The following were honored:
• Keith S. Burton, BA 1991, M.Ed. 1993;
• Michael S. Harper, BS 1976;
• David M. Oliver, CPA, BS 1977;
• Domenico M. Palombo, BA 1998;
• Dominic Salinas, Ed.D., BS 1977 (Cum Laude);
• Christopher S. Sockrider, M.D., FACS, BS 1992;
• U.S. Marshal Henry L. Whitehorn, Sr., Bachelor of Criminal Justice, 1986;
• G. Brent Whitton, M.D., BS 1994.
For more information on each recipient visit the LSUS For more information or to join the LSUS Alumni Association, visit www.lsus.edu/alumni. Click on Membership, and then Join.
Additional information on award winners:
Keith S. Burton
BA, Elementary Education, 1991; M.Ed., Gifted Education and Educational Leadership, 1993
• Since 2003, he has been Principal at South Highlands Elementary Magnet School, a Blue Ribbon School
• Prior to that he was Principal at Fairfield Elementary Magnet
• Serves the LA Department of Education as a new principal mentor
• Louisiana's first recipient of the Milken Educator's Award
• One of Shreveport's Outstanding Young Educators
Michael S. Harper
BS, Management & Administration, 1976
• President & Dealer-Operator of Harper Motors, Inc., of Minden
• Owner-Dealer of Julian Foy Motors, Many, LA
• Minden Man of the Year 2000
• Board Member, MBL Bank, Minden, LA
• 23 years as a Volunteer with Minden St. Jude's Auction
David M. Oliver, CPA
BS, Business Administration, 1977
• Senior Tax Partner with Roberts, Cherry & Company
• Partner, Louisiana Production Capital, LLC
• Partner, Fiduciary Investment Consultants, LLC and Aliign, LLC
• Treasurer, Christus Schumpert Foundation
• Elder, First Presbyterian Church
Domenico M. Palombo
BA, Political Science, 1998
• Federal Consulting Systems Engineer for Cisco Systems
• 5-1/2 years in the Federal Sector as Chief of Global Network Operations and Telecommunications for the United States Peace Corps
• Information Management Instructor at Potomac College
• Microsoft and Cisco Certification Instructor at Pittsburgh Technical Institute
Dominic Salinas, Ed.D.
BS, Education, 1977 (Cum Laude); MS, Louisiana Tech; Ed.D., Vanderbilt University
• Visiting Professor, Centenary College since 2002.
• An educator in Caddo and Bossier Parishes for 32 years
• Trustee on the Teachers' Retirement System of Louisiana
• Phi Delta Kappa Earl McKenzie Memorial Award - 2002
• Received Shreveport-Bossier Phi Delta Kappa Service Key - 2000
Christopher S. Sockrider, M.D., FACS
BS, Biological Sciences, 1992
• Founder of Breast Care Specialists, LLC, a private surgical practice limited to breast disease and breast cancer
• Member, Board of Directors, NW Louisiana affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure
• Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, LSUHSC-Shreveport
• Married to Stephanie Sockrider, M.D.
U.S. Marshal Henry L. Whitehorn, Sr., MS
Bachelor of Criminal Justice, 1986; MS in Criminal Justice, Grambling State
• United States Marshal for the Western District of Louisiana
• Former Chief of Police, Shreveport, LA
• Former Deputy Secretary for Public Safety Services and Superintendent of Louisiana State Police
• Graduate, FBI National Executive Institute and FBI National Academy
• Member of countless Advisory Committees and Boards of Directors
G. Brent Whitton, M.D.
BS, Biological Sciences, 1994
• Medical Director, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and Chairman, Dept. of Pediatrics, Willis Knighton Health System
• Serves on the Willis Knighton Ethics Committee and the Medical Executive Committee His pediatric residency and neonatology fellowship were conducted at LSUHSC-Shreveport. He is Board certified in pediatrics and neonatology.
• Named NICU Medical Director in 2004
• A 40 Under 40 honoree (Greater Shreveport Chamber) in 2007.