LSU Announces Members of Sub-Committees to Transition Advisory Team
January 29, 2013
BATON ROUGE - In another significant step in the reshaping of the LSU System, more than 60 individuals have been invited to participate on five sub-committees designed to generate information in specific areas of focus that will ultimately lead to a more competitive and efficient LSU. Five of these individuals are representatives of LSUS.
As part of the realignment process called LSU2015, each sub-committee will meet no less than three times in order to produce reports to LSU's Transition Advisory Team which will assess the information and provide input to the LSU Board which holds all authority for the reorganization of the System. In some cases, expert testimony will be enlisted in the areas of focus to provide additional input to the sub-committees.
Walter Isaacson, Louisiana native, CEO of the Aspen Institute, and biographer of Steve Jobs, Benjamin Franklin, and Albert Einstein, is among those who will provide expert testimony to the Technology and Operations Sub-Committee.
"This is a wonderful opportunity for Louisiana to think boldly about what a state college system should be in the 21st century," said Isaacson. "I admire the Governor, LSU Board, faculty and the committee for being willing to reinvent a century-old model and bring it into the digital age."
Sub-committee members were nominated by the chancellors of each campus in the LSU System and nominated by Dr. William Jenkins, interim president of the LSU System and interim chancellor of LSU. Additional members may be added to the subcommittees as necessary or as members become unavailable to participate.
Will focus on inter- and intra-campus innovation and collaboration, academic standards and the strategic deployment of academic programs and leveraging technology for learning.
• Co-Chairs: Dr. William "Bill" Jenkins, Dr. Lester W. Johnson
• Phil Brantley, Professor & Assoc. Executive Director, Education, Pennington BRC
• Kevin Cope, Faculty Senate President and Professor of English, LSU
• William Corbett, Professor of Law, LSU Law Center
• Terry Davis, Professor, Medicine and Pediatrics, LSUHSC-S
• Lee Engel, Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program, LSUHSC-NO
• Stacie Haynie, Alumni Professor, Political Science, LSU
• Charles Lewis, Undergraduate Student in Bio-Chemistry, LSU
• Thomas Rodgers, Graduate Student in Mass Communication, LSU
• John Russin, Vice Chancellor, Research, LSU AgCenter
• Ellen Stutes, Assoc. Professor, Mathematics, LSUE
• Mary Treuting, Professor, Behavioral and Social Sciences, LSUA
• John Vassar, Interim Provost, Academic Affairs, LSUS
Finance and Revenue Sub-Committee
Will examine best practices in funding strategies and leveraging assets as well as reviewing the cost efficiency of administrative structures and functions such as human resources, finance and budgeting, facilities oversight and management, information management and public relations, fundraising and communications efforts.
• Co-Chairs: G. Lee Griffin, Clarence P. Cazalot, Jr.
• Lynette Burlew, Director, Human Resource Management, LSUA
• Ann Coulon, Associate Vice Chancellor for Administration, LSU AgCenter
• John Dailey, Vice Chancellor for Administration, LSUHSC-S
• Mike Ferrell, Vice Chancellor, Business Affairs, LSUS
• Brad Jewell, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Pennington BRF
• Trang Le, Undergraduate Student in Biochemistry, LSU
• John Nesser, Accretive Assets, alum of LSU Law Center
• Rick Perry, Senior Vice President, Tiger Athletic Foundation
• Tommy Smith, Director, Budget and Planning, LSU
• Donna Torres, Assoc. Vice Chancellor for Accounting and Financial Services, LSU
• Arlene Tucker, Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, LSUE
• Greg Upton, Ph.D. Student in Economics, LSU
• Chris Vidrine, Director of External Affairs, LSUHSC-NO
Technology and Operations Sub-Committee
Seeks to identify opportunities to leverage technology to improve quality and efficiency in research, management and administration, information systems and communications, and to streamline board and administrative processes.
• Co-Chairs: William M. Comegys III, William L. "Bill" Silvia
• Todd Barre', Director of Budget & Institutional Research, LSU AgCenter
• Taylor Cox, Student Government President, Undergraduate Student in Mass Communication, LSU
• Tammy Dugas, Assoc. Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology & Neuroscience, LSUHSC-S
• Hamilton Farris, Research Assistant Professor, Neuroscience Center, LSUHSC-NO
• Brian Haymon, SGS Petroleum Service Corporation, alum of LSU Law Center
• Marjana Herring, Programmer/Analyst, Information Technology, LSUE
• Shelby Keith, Chief Information Officer, LSUS
• Brian Nichols, Chief Information Officer, LSU
• Patrick Reed, Director, Office of Technology Management, LSUHSC-NO
• Jennifer Rood, Professor and Assoc. Executive Director for Cores/Resources, Pennington BRC
• Deron Thaxton, Executive Director, Information and Educational Technical Services, LSUA
• Joel Tohline, Director of CCT, LSU
Research and Discovery Sub-Committee
Will review data on current productivity and strengths in research efforts, investigate opportunities for joint research proposals and projects with potential collaboration incentives, propose recommendations to improve productivity and accountability and leverage technology transfer opportunities.
• Chair: Dr. James W. "Jim' Firnberg
• Mathile Abramson, Kean Miller Law Firm, alum of LSU Law Center
• Sam Bentley, Director, LSU Coastal Studies Institute, LSU
• Rex Caffey, Director, Center for Natural Resource Economics & Policy, LSU/LSU AgCenter
• Will Cefalu, Assoc. Executive Director, Scientific Affairs/Chief Scientific Officer, Pennington BRC
• Charisma Edwards, Graduate Assistant for Office of Strategic Initiatives, LSU
• Tim Foster, Asst. Professor, Microbiology, Immunology & Parasitology, LSUHSC-NO
• Dalton Gossett, Assoc. Dean, Chair and Professor, Biological Sciences, LSUS
• Jim Griffin, Professor, School of Plant, Environmental & Soil Sciences, LSU AgCenter
• Rebekah Jones, Graduate Student in Geography, LSU
• Richard Koubek, Dean, College of Engineering, LSU
• Matthew Lee, Associate Vice Chancellor, Research and Economic Development, LSU
• Jackie Stephens, Professor and Director of Basic Science Research, Pennington BRC
• Bob Walter, Assoc. Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care, LSUHSC-S
Student Experience Sub-Committee
Will focus on access and opportunity, support for student success to improve the graduation rate as well as workforce and career opportunities, service learning, student financial aid and improving student recruitment and enrollment efforts.
• Co-Chairs: Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honore', Carroll Suggs
• Renford Cindass, Medical Student, Student Government President, LSUHSC-NO
• Judy Daniels, Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, LSUE
• John Parker Ford, Undergraduate Student in Mass Communication, LSU
• Janelle Garcia, Undergraduate in Communication Disorders, LSU
• Eamon Halpin, Director, Student Support, LSUA
• Sanjay Juneja, Medical Student, Student Government President, LSUHSC-S
• Kurt Keppler, Vice Chancellor for Student Life, LSU
• Joe McCulloch, Dean, School of Allied Health and Professor, LSUHSC-S
• Sandra McGuire, Professor, Chemical Education, LSU
• Alexandra Moore, Undergraduate Student in Social Sciences, Student Government President, LSUE
• Lisa Pickering, Asst. Director of Student Aid, LSUS
• James Sudduth, Law Student, LSU Law Center
• Mark Tassin, Head of Department of 4-H Youth and Family Development, LSU AgCenter
*Lists to be revised or supplemented as necessary