Summer Student Data Forms available April 15th!
If you plan to attend LSU Shreveport during the Summer 2014 semester and you received financial aid at LSU Shreveport for the Fall 2013 and/or Spring 2014 you may be eligible for financial aid during summer. Applications will be available in the office or on the LSUS website-Financial Aid page.
It's That TIME Again...
To COMPLETE Your FAFSA for 2014-15!
Once you (and your parents) have completed 2013 federal income tax returns, please complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for the 2014-15 academic school year. It takes about 20 minutes since you can now retrieve your (and your parent's) income information directly from the IRS while on FAFSA.gov.
LSUS school code is 002013
It's easy as 1,2,3....
- Go to www.fafsa.gov
- Click on "Start Here".
- Select the 2014-2015 school year.
- Complete your FAFSA by using the IRS data retrieval option if possible to simplify the application process.
- Sign your FAFSA! (Go to www.pin.ed.gov for a personal identification number for you and/or your parents.)
- Print out your confirmation page.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office approximately 3 business days after completing your FAFSA for any needed forms to complete your application. (Starting in May.)
- Submit all requested forms to the Financial Aid Office. All academic transcripts must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office.
- Once your file is complete the Financial Aid Office will award your financial aid.
- View your awards on your myLSUS account.
- Return your paper award letter to us. (Awarding of aid for the 2014-15 school year begins in late spring.)
- Accept your financial aid on your myLSU account three weeks before the semester starts.
- Start school!
Financial Aid Tips for 2014-15
- Apply NOW! Some need-based financial aid is limited and is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval options for accurate income information.
- Prior to completing any application or forms, thoroughly review all instructions.
- When completing the FAFSA online double-check all entries before submissions and print conformation page.
- Be sure to answer all questions as directed.
- Include LSUS school code: 002013
- Be sure to sign and submit all requested forms.
- Be prepared to submit supporting documentation for all information reported by student and/or parents.
- Just a reminder: Students selected for Verification are required to submit an IRS Federal Income Tax Transcript for both student and parent by calling 1-800-908-9946 or order online at www.irs.gov.
- Respond immediately to requests for additional information.
- Maintain a file of materials received from the Financial Aid Office or student loan servicers or agencies. Keep duplicates of all materials sent to the Financial Aid Office and other agencies.
- Check with your academic department for continuing student scholarships.
- DON'T ASSUME or GUESS! Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions. Be sure to explain any unusual circumstances directly to the Financial Aid Office.
- BE PROCTIVE! Call the Financial Aid Office in 3 business days after you have submitted your FAFSA to find out what documents are needed to complete your file.
- Be aware in August that the Financial Aid Office is extremely busy, so don't wait to apply!
How to order an IRS tax transcript
Students selected for verification that chose not to/or are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while completing FAFSA on the web must submit copies of 2013 IRS Tax Transcripts. Photocopies of tax returns are no longer acceptable documentation.
To obtain a copy of your 2013 IRS Tax Transcripts:
•· www.irs.gov and click on "Order a Return or Account Transcript" link
•· Call 1-800-908-9946
TIP: Make sure to request the "IRS tax return transcripts" and not the "IRS tax account transcripts."
If you have already filed your FAFSA and did not elect to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, it is not too late.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and log into your 2014-15 FAFSA record.
- Select "Make FAFSA Corrections".
- Find the Financial Information section.
- Follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2013 IRS income tax information.
TIP: After you have filed your income taxes it takes two weeks for the IRS income information to be available for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for electronic IRS tax return filers.