Print / Share  

Admissions & Financial Aid

Admissions FAQ

Should I apply as a freshman or as a transfer student?

If you are a current high school student or have not attended college since graduating from high school, you will apply as a freshman. If you have completed college courses since graduating from high school, you will apply as a transfer student. You can read more about transfer admissions here.

I am a transfer student. Which transcripts do I need to submit?

Please request that an official transcript from each college previously attended be sent directly to LSU Shreveport. If you are currently enrolled at another college or university when you apply for admission, submit a current official transcript and then submit a final official transcript at the conclusion of the term. Unofficial transcripts may be used for provisional admission. Full admission will not be granted until the final transcript has been received and evaluated. Failure to submit transcripts by the end of the first semester enrolled will prevent registration for future semesters. Transcripts must be e-scripted or directly mailed from the university, or hand-carried, sealed, and unopened.

What are the admissions requirements for freshmen?

You can read more about Freshman Admissions Requirements here

What materials do I need to submit to be considered for admission?

You can find the Required Application Materials here

Are there any deadlines that I should be aware of?

LSU Shreveport evaluates applications and makes admissions decisions on a rolling basis for each term. Although there are no set application deadlines, it is best to apply in advance for your intended entry term (at least one month before the start of the term). Additionally, first-time freshmen should be aware of the scholarship deadlines found here

I have attempted to complete the online application, but it says my information is already in the system. What do I do?

Please contact the Admissions Office for assistance.

I did not graduate from high school, but I obtained a GED. Can I still be considered for admission?

In general, only students 25 years old or older may be admitted to LSU Shreveport with a GED. However, students under 25 with a GED may be admitted in special circumstances. If you have further questions, please contact the LSU Shreveport Admissions Office.

I am an active member of the military, or the dependent of one. Do I need to submit any additional paperwork?

Yes, please submit a Military Residency Form. If you have more questions about veterans affairs you can find out more here

I'm not sure if I would be considered a Louisiana resident. How can I determine this?

You can read more about residency requirements here. If you are still unsure or have questions, please contact the Admissions Office for further assistance.

I'd like to be considered for scholarships. Is there a separate application for that?

No, your completed application for admission will serve as your scholarship application.

I have submitted my application. How can I check on my status?

You can view your current status by using your Student ID Number and PIN to log into your myLSUS account. Once logged in, click on "Admissions and Registration Status." You are also welcome to call or email the Admissions Office for an update on your admission status.

I have recently been admitted as a first-time freshman, how do I sign up for classes?

First of all, congratulations! All admitted students receive an acceptance letter in the mail with further instructions. According to those instructions, first-time freshman students should register for Freshman Orientation here. You will receive academic advisement and register for classes during Freshman Orientation.

I have recently been admitted as a Transfer/Visiting/Returning Student, how do I sign up for classes?

In order to register for classes, you will need to speak to an academic advisor in your department. Click here.

I have already applied for admission but need to change my semester of entry. What do I need to do?

Please log into the Returning Students Application and update your term of entry. You can log into the application here using your myLSUS Student ID and PIN.

If I only sat out for a semester, do I still need to reapply to the university?

Yes, if you sat out for the fall or spring terms, you will need to reapply.

I lost my Student ID Number and/or PIN. How can I go about retrieving them?

Due to FERPA regulations, we cannot release this information over the phone. There are, however, a couple of ways to retrieve your Student ID Number and PIN. One, stop by our office and present a photo ID, and we'll release that information to you on the spot. Two, fill out the myLSUS Student ID Number Request form and/or the myLSUS PIN Request form, and we'll send your information directly to you.

Is there an application fee?

Yes. There is a $20.00 application fee for all applicants with US citizenship. There is a $30.00 application fee for all international applicants.

How can I pay my application fee?

1) You can pay the application fee via your myLSUS account using a credit card.

2) You may mail a check or money order, made payable to LSUS, to LSUS Accounting Services, 129 AD Building.

3) You may pay in person at Accounting Services (Administration Building room 129) using cash, check, or money order.

How can I apply for Financial Aid?

For all financial aid questions, please click here

What is the cost of tuition at LSU Shreveport?

The tuition and fee breakdown for the current semester can be found here

Are freshmen required to live on campus?

While we do have apartments on campus, there are no residency requirements for LSU Shreveport students. You can learn more about the University Court Apartments here

Can I get my out-of-state fees waived?

We do have a limited number of out-of-state fee waivers available. Waivers do not cover all out-of-state fees, but they do cover a significant portion. To be considered for an out-of-state fee waiver, make sure to indicate your interest on the application for admission.

How do I request a Campus Visit/Tour?

You can register for a Campus Visit here.

I would like to have some information about LSU Shreveport sent to me. Whom should I contact?

You can fill out an information request form here.

I just have a few questions but I don't need a full campus visit. Can I make an appointment to talk with an Admissions Counselor?

Sure! Appointments and individual visits can be arranged by calling the Admissions Office at 318-797-5061 or 800-229-5957.

What is the mailing address for the Admissions and Office?

LSU Shreveport
Attention: Admissions and Records
One University Place
Shreveport, LA 71115

How can I contact the Admissions Office?

You can reach us by phone at 318-797-5061 or 800-229-5957, or by email at

What are the hours for the Admissions Office?

We are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.